E-mail MePaul W. Smith
Paul Smith devotes the majority of his time to defending physicians, nurses, long-term care facilities and hospitals in malpractice actions, and corporations in product liability actions. Prior to practicing law, Paul worked for over ten years as a senior pharmaceutical sales representative servicing primary care and senior care facilities in Ohio and as a human resources associate for a major pharmaceutical company. Paul applies his knowledge and unique perspective of the pharmaceutical, medical and long-term care industries to his representation of clients.
While in law school, Paul served as an extern for Judge Melody Stewart of the Eighth District Court of Appeals, thereby giving him unique insight into the appellate process.
Mr. Smith has been recognized as a Rising Star in edition the 2017 of Ohio Super Lawyers, a distinction that recognizes the top five percent of Ohio Lawyers under the age of forty or those in practice for ten years or less.
In his free time, Paul enjoys rooting for Cleveland sports teams, listening to live music, ballroom dancing and traveling.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Long-Term Care Defense
- Product Liability
- Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2013
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. cum laude - 2010
- Law Journal: Cleveland-Marshall Journal of Law and Health, Senior Editor
- University of Rochester
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1999
- Major: Biological Sciences
- Case Western Reserve University - Weatherhead School of Management
- M.B.A., Master of Business Administration - 2004
- Major: Marketing Concentration
- “Death of a Sales Rep: Bringing the Rep to the Table for Witness Preparation in a Products Liability Case”, DRI’s RX for the Defense, October, 2014
- “United States Supreme Court Rules Against Prescription Data Restriction Law”, Northern Ohio Physician, Vol. 96, Issue 5, September/October, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Black Law Student's Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Co-Chair, Louis Stokes Scholars Summer Internship Program
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 3Rs Mentor; Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Mentorship Program
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Neighborhood Family Practice, Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- Eli Lilly and Company, Senior Sales Representative/ Senior Human Resource Associate, 1999 - 2010