E-mail MeDavid C. Comstock Jr.
David "Chip" Comstock is a shareholder who joined the firm on January 1, 2016. Prior to joining BSPH, he was a partner in an insurance/malpractice defense firm in Youngstown, Ohio, for more than 25 years. He has almost three decades of trial experience in both the federal and state courts, and is associated with more than 35 reported state and federal court opinions, including 25 Ohio Supreme Court cases.
Liability Defense: Chip has defended insurers, insureds and Fortune 500 companies in tort, contract, product liability, professional negligence and civil rights cases in Ohio state and federal courts.
Insurance Coverage Opinions and Litigation: Chip is one of 17 lawyers certified by the Ohio State Bar Association in the specialty of insurance coverage law and currently sits on the OSBA insurance coverage law specialty board. His practice includes the investigation of coverage related matters and the defense of insurance claim denials. He has also lectured more than 25 times on insurance claim topics.
Special Investigation Unit (SIU) Claims: Chip has extensive experience in providing legal and claims handling advice to insurers in first and third party "suspicious" claims, including property and personal injury claims. He has conducted over 500 examinations under oath as part of this process.
Fire Litigation: Chip has successfully defended numerous complex fire cases. His 30 years of experience in the fire service as an investigator and certified fire safety inspector gives him unparalleled experience and insight into fire related cases.
Local Government and Fire Service Law: Chip's 18 years' experience as a fire chief provides a wealth of experience and knowledge into the operation of local government and fire service law. He represents over 100 fire districts, townships, villages, private fire companies and chief officers. He has published more than 30 articles and has presented more than 70 lectures on fire service and government law. Chip has also assisted in the creation of more joint fire districts than any other lawyer in Ohio.
Expert Testimony and Consulting: Law firms, corporations and individuals have retained Chip to provide expert testimony or consulting services in cases involving insurance bad faith, fire origin and cause, fire suppression and department operations, professional malpractice and legal ethics.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Ohio State Bar Association Insurance Coverage Law Certified Specialist
- Institute Certified Professional Insurance Investigator
- IRG Investigations Training
- Firefighter II and Emergency Medical Technician
- Certified Fire Safety Inspector
- National Society for Professional Insurance Investigators
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Ohio, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2016
- The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. - 1988
- College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio
- B.A. - 1985
Honors and Awards
- John Galpin Award for Excellence
- Economic Achievement Prize
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio Bar Association, Member, 1988 - Present
- Mahoning County Bar Association, Member, 1988 - Present
- Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Phi Delta Phi